for those of you in the windy city this weekend, chicago restaurant week starts saturday! restaurant week is (besides the greatest idea ever) an ideal time to try out the city’s hottest restaurants through pre-set brunches, lunches and dinners at reasonable prices. here’s the list of participating restaurants.
Add to your own brunch menu this weekend with these delicious cinnamon scones from Recipe Girl!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter (cut into chunks)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Combine flour (2 c.), oatmeal (1 c.), sugar (1/4 c.), baking powder (1 tbs.) and salt (1/4 tsp.). Cut in the butter (8 tbs.) with a pastry blender to create coarse crumbs.
3. In another bowl, blend milk (3/4 c.), 1 egg and vanilla (1 tsp.).
4. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients from step 2. Stir with a rubber spatula until moistened (do not over-stir!).
5. Create a cinnamon/sugar mixture, to taste. Sprinkle onto dough and lightly fold, then sprinkle again. Continue until you have the desired amount of cinnamon.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to drop dough onto a baking sheet (I highly recommend lining with parchment paper to avoid the sugar burning to your pan!).
7. Bake 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Drizzle with a simple glaze (milk, confectioner’s sugar and a dash of vanilla) if you wish!